Here are the six steps of the Logic Based Therapy (LBT) process, concisely stated by Dr. Elliot Cohen, founder of LBT:
- "Formulate the emotional reasoning (practical syllogism) you are using to make yourself feel and act in self-defeating ways;
- Identify any Cardinal Fallacies in your premises, that is, any of the eleven faulty thinking errors recognized by LBT, which have a major propensity to mess up your personal and/or interpersonal happiness;
- Refute the fallacy identified by proving it is, indeed, a fallacy (that is, irrational);
- Identify a guiding virtue or ideal toward which you can aspire to offset your fallacy and live more happily;
- Adopt a philosophy that promotes your guiding virtue;
- Construct a concrete plan of action to put your philosophy into practice."
Another statement of the method of LBT, from Critical Thinking Unleashed: